Yorkshire Gas and Power (YGP) is hiring a Finance Assistant – someone on the upward curve, with a passion for the energy industry, who is looking for a challenging role and can deliver outstanding results. This is an opportunity to join one of the fastest growing UK energy suppliers. This role is an opportunity for the candidate to progress their finance career, along with the rapid growth of YGP.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the financial controller, the candidate will be provided with a high level of responsibility in a short space of time to assist with the financial operations of the company. The candidate will be required to learn and adapt to the large number of evolving finance and system processes required to ensure the smooth operation of the company. The candidate must be highly adept in learning how to use new systems and must be technologically adept. The candidate will be expected to be bright and will be expected to apply knowledge with minimal errors, operating in the highly complex B2B energy supply sector.
Initial duties will involve:
- Managing the accounts inbox.
- Updating the excel bank statement and reconciling the bank account in Sage 50.
- Posting non DD receipts in Genus.
- Uploading customer invoices to Sage.
- Validation and processing of supplier invoices in Sage 50.
- Reconciling supplier statements.
- Preparation of weekly supplier payments, arranging authorisation and submitting payments in Sage.
- Maintenance of customer and suppliers’ ledgers in Sage.
- Validation and processing of customer refunds.
- Providing holiday cover for the department.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate that they are excellent with numbers, be a quick learner, have a very high attention to detail and be highly PC literate (with general applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook). These qualities are an absolute must for the candidate to be capable of performing the role to the high standard that will be required of them. There will be pressure on the candidate to perform, however full training will be provided along with regular meetings to help to achieve the candidate’s goals within the company.
The culture at YGP is to work hard and play hard. We have high expectations from our staff, but in return we reward accordingly. YGP is keen to promote employee wellbeing and we include an extensive medical, optical and dental insurance plan for all staff upon completing of their probationary period.
YGP promotes an open and flexible working culture across both our operations and sales departments.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a finance-based role.
- Highly experienced with Sage 50/200 or equivalent (desirable).
- Ability to manage large volumes of complex data.
- Technologically adept.
- Highly numerate and a logical thinker.
- Highly PC literate.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Intermediate level of skill with Microsoft Excel (e.g., comfortable in writing basic Excel formulas).
- Excellent and professional telephone manner.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail to a very high standard.
- Excellent communication skills and must be proficient at communicating up to director level.
- Persuasive as and when necessary.
- Basic salary of up to £22,000, dependent upon experience.
- 30 days annual leave (including bank holidays.) Additional days awarded through length of service.
- Pension scheme.
- Free onsite parking within a new, fully serviced office.
- Private medical insurance upon successful completion of probationary period.
- Fully paid team lunches and pay day breakfast sandwiches.
- 37.5 hours week Monday to Friday, based in our office in Thorpe Park, Leeds. Core hours are 09.00-17.00 Mon-Fri, flexibility on working hours will be considered.